Thursday, September 24, 2009

Fission of Form

Today I wanted to talk about the exhibit I have a piece in called: Fission of Form. It is still showing at Panza Gallery until October 31st.
Here are some dates to remember:

September 5th thru October 31st, 2009

Poetry Reading October 3rd 6-9pm

Alex Patho opening pics: http://www.pathophoto.com/fof/

Kurt Shaw Review: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/ae/museums/s_644709.html

Copy and paste this to see more about the show: http://web.mac.com/panzagallery/Panza_Gallery/FOF.html


So what is it? Kurt Shaw say's it best so I suggest reading his review linked above. But he says in it, "The exhibit started with works created by the Pittsburgh Society of Sculptors, then, members of the Pittsburgh Poets wrote a poem inspired by a particular sculpture. The Pittsburgh Society of Illustrators members randomly chose a poem, and created an illustration without seeing the original sculpture. The sculptures, poems and illustrations are displayed as installed triads."

It's a pretty cool exhibit. I love the poem and the sculpture that are grouped with my painting. I met the sculptor and she seems like a very nice girl. Good sense of humor. I haven't met the poet yet. I will share a JPG here of my image, but if you are in the area you totally should come and check out the show. The Opening night was a lot of fun and I imagine that the Poetry Reading will be too.

Here it is, my image "The Prisoner"


And here is the poem that inspired it:
(you may have to open this attachment in a new window in order to read it)

You may be asking yourself "So why is he a cowboy?". Well, he's not. He is wearing the hat because that style is very American and that helps identify him.

Allow me to explain a philosophy very dear to my heart. I believe that images are to be read, and there are a lot of things to read in this painting. Everything has a meaning to it.
What does the clock say? Is there something I am trying to say with the spacial arrangement and design of the background? Are there any other clues I have left you that tell you what he is thinking about or who he is?

I would like to hear from you.
What do YOU think I am saying in this image? Why?

1 comment:

  1. I think the white designs on the wall behind him are angel wings that represent the support that would be available to him if he could look around. After all, the clock represents the fact that there are people in the US who still remember and support POWs. But he is completely focused inward, as represented by the bottom of his glass.

    Hyper-real painting, I feel like I am there and can feel the tone in the room...

    ReplyDelete